New Year, New Beginnings! This January will mark the start of a new chapter for our country after a year filled with extreme challenges. Of course, COVID is still a harsh reality, but with a new vaccine on the horizon, we want to focus on the positives while still providing resources and support. Our January Toolkit also aims to provide ways to create healthy habits at home and winter activities that are still available during COVID.
- The Autism Society of America released an official statement on the COVID-19 Vaccine.
- The Autism Society has enlisted the support of other national disability organizations to unite and urge the autism community to be vaccinated as distribution becomes possible. Individuals with autism and other developmental disabilities are at a greater risk for severe complications and death from COVID-19, especially if they have underlying health conditions or are living in congregate settings.
Creating Healthy Habits:
COVID Friendly Winter Activities
- The Autism Society of America participated in the drafting of the Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities (CCD) policy recommendations for the incoming 117th Congress and the Biden-Harris Administration outlining the needs of people with disabilities and their families. These recommendations have been shared with the Biden transition team and the congressional leadership of the House and Senate.
- CCD recommendations for the incoming Congress
- CCD recommendations for the Administration
- CCD is the largest coalition of national organizations working together to advocate for federal public policy that ensures the self-determination, independence, empowerment, integration, and inclusion of children and adults with disabilities in all aspects of society.
The Autism Society’s National Contact Center staff are here to support you and provide you with the resources you need. Our Information & Referral Specialists are available Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 7:00 pm (Eastern Time) at 800-3-AUTISM (800-328-8476) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Autism Society is dedicated to improving the quality of life for all affected by autism. $50 allows the Autism Society to provide an hour of support to our affiliate network to create localized education resources, support, and advocacy to individuals and families affected by autism. If you found this article helpful, please consider supporting our efforts through a donation, every bit helps. Donate here!